Tuesday 26 June 2012

winter warming...

We're heading for a top of 12 degrees Celsius here in Melbourne today. Normally I would say that was fine - we live in Melbourne, if I wanted tropical I should move to Cairns or something. But this is the extent of heating we have at the moment in our house...

Excuse my dodgy photography - a fan heater isn't exactly the most wonderful model.

It's been one of those annoying, niggly weeks here at our place. Our dishwasher died on Friday as well as a bunch of other annoying little things. But the icing on the cake happened yesterday.

Yesterday morning we awoke to the wonderful smell of electrical smoke in our house, smoke alarms went off and the power went out. We grabbed our coats and raced out the front and called the fire brigade who came along and after some investigating, told us that our heater malfunctioned - the fan broke or something (I don't pretend to understand these kinds of things) causing a small fire (I think) Pretty sure when we turned off the heater it went out, they didn't need to break out any hoses. 

Basically - our house didn't burn down - hooray!! But my heater is broken - poo!! I am grateful that the house didn't burn down, don't get me wrong - so so so so so grateful!! I will be changing my habit of leaving the heater on low overnight in winter and just turning it off. Not worth the risk!

So Mr-O and I sit here in front of my little fan heater. We'll put on our jackets and scarves and beanies until we are warm. I'm sure once the sun is out we will be more able to keep the house warm, so long as we don't leave this room...

Hope your day is full of sunshine and warmth...


No comments: