Friday 28 September 2012

food glorious food

For those who know me, you will know that I am currently addicted to healthy, mouth watering, delicious food. Food that looks and tastes delicious, but has no hidden nasties.


roasted vegetable salad

I have learned that cooking is essential as I have food allergies and I like to know what goes into my food so that I don't get sick.
this became mixed berry frozen yoghurt

I do really love cooking though, and serving up meals that make me drool from the smell and the way that it looks is really something that I enjoy. The eating is pretty good too though!!
mountain bread pizza
The other day I was craving spicy food. The kids were (and still are) away at Granny's farm for the week and I thought, well here is my chance to make something really awesome that I know they won't eat.

So when I was doing my grocery shop, I looked at a bunch of different marinades in the spicy section of the supermarket. There is one common ingredient in most spicy marinades... lemon. I am allergic to lemon. So rather than resigning myself to not having my spicy food that I so craved I had a look at the other ingredients on the packets and made my own. 

 
YUM!!
 So this is how I made my super delicious, droolworthy chicken that night.
I put about 500g of chicken thighs in a ziplock bag with a chilli, a can of coconut milk, some coriander, a good amount of tumeric and some other spices I found in the cupboard (I made mine pretty spicy, but you could tone down the spiciness if you really wanted to). I wanted to put in some garlic, but there's not much Australian garlic selling in my local supermarket at the moment, I must get to the fruit shop!
I sat that bag in the fridge all day. Probably about 6 hours. 
After letting it sit in the fridge, I put everything that was in the bag in my brazier pan to sear the chicken. And then chopped up a red capsicum and put it in there too. 

Once the chicken started to get a bit of colour, I put the pan in a moderate oven, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.

While that was cooking, I drank some wine, chopped up some veggies to steam and cooked some rice.

The end result...

SMELLED AMAZING! 
LOOKED AMAZING! 
TASTED AMAZING!

Oh it was so so good. And was well received by the MR. I think the kids would probably eat it too. You should definitely try it!

Do you like to cook?
What is your favorite food to eat?

No comments: